Monday, March 15, 2010

Putting the "Creative" in SCA food....

I am a huge fan of authentic recreation.  Truly, I am.  I love the sights and sounds and (most of) the smells of an encampment, or a large event. 

Sometimes we get a little bogged down, though.  I mean, let's be honest.  We do not have time machines to go back and see for sure how things were done.  My persona (that's "the person I pretend to be when I'm dressed up", for any non-SCAdians reading) is 9th century Norse.  We don't even have ~cookbooks~.  We have the contents of trash pits and burial finds to track backwards from.  That's a little challenging.  And even for the later period stuff (say the 1500's and on) we still don't have 100% certainty on every single recipe and every single *method* of cooking.

So, we do our best.  And in the meanwhile, we can even have fun with it. ;)  At a recent event that my group attended we presented some "effigy breads" to the Baron and Baroness of the host group... a Dragon and a Tiger.


(We live in the Middle Kingdom, and the Dragon is symbolic of our kingdom.... the Tiger is the symbolic representation of our neighbors to the East.... with whom we sometimes have.. disagreements... hehe).

In more recent news, I decided that since KITCHEN work is actually more potentially dangerous than FIGHTING (I mean.. they use rattan sticks.  And wear armour.  We use real knives.  And wear aprons.) that I was going to start "authorizing" people to work in my kitchen.  So, I made myself a Marshal Spoon (personalized...) and we handed out "authorization cards" to folks who had shown themselves as safe and knowledgable in various kitchen tasks.  There's no rule that says cooking in the SCA can't be fun... and really?  I don't mind working, and working HARD, for my fun.  But there should be fun mixed in there, somewhere! 


No comments:

Post a Comment